Saturday, June 27, 2015

Walden: A Case of Projecting Identity on a Homeless Man

Seated in a Tim Hortons with my insurance textbooks spread out, I would occasionally look up from studying to observe any suitable distraction. Minutes after I had taken my place, an old man in an army green raincoat sat down at the corner table to my left. His grey hair was cut short, his skin a sun-weathered leather. In the other chair at his table he had placed a large knapsack of the same green, undoubtedly filled with just his necessities. During the lost hours I spent there, he never once stopped writing except to read over his red-penned cursive. As far as I could tell, his cup of coffee only served as a pretense for his being there. He appeared homeless, but at the same time, exuded a greater confidence and purpose than the groups of his retired peers sitting and chatting in groups around the coffee shop.

I didn’t wish to find out anything more about him in fear that it would ruin the identity which I had created. His character was genuine and his life, though simple, was purposeful. This appearance was a ruse, though not intentional as he did not consider how others saw him. He chose to be so dressed for practicality and not because he didn’t have other means on which to get by.


It was all a form of projection, I suppose. He was the embodiment of a life well-lived and underneath the weight of work stress and study obligations, that’s what I envied. At the end of my years, I hope to find myself seated in a coffee shop, wholly consumed by the action of writing a letter to family.  

The important reflection of course, is whether my current actions – studying insurance, in particular and accepting the stress that comes with such a profession – can lead me to the life I hope to live. My foremost struggle is convincing myself that the effort I put into my work is not wasted by the lack of recognition from others. The effort I put forward is to better myself and work towards the person I want to become. This applies to the young professional regardless of his or her chosen field.


Insurance – and by extension, law – is a pursuit which interests me for its role in the underpinnings of a stable, yet dynamic modern civilization. If not for professional reasons, the information gained through the study of insurance would not be wasted in a productive member of society. Also, Latin is pretty cool.

To tie in my current readings, Thoreau wrote:

“Little is to be expected of that day, if it can be called a day, to which we are not awakened by our Genius, but by the mechanical nudging of some servitor, are not awakened by our own newly-acquired force and aspirations from within, accompanied by the undulations of celestial music, instead of factory bells, and a fragrance filling the air – to a higher life than we fell asleep from; and thus the darkness bear its fruit, and prove itself to be good, no less than the light. That man who does not believe that each day contains an earlier, more sacred, and auroral hour than he has yet profaned, has despaired of life, and is pursuing a descending and darkening way.”     (Walden; or, Life in the Woods)

The challenge of the young professional is to keep moving forward. Here in the open world starts true possibility, though diluted encouragement. Stand on your own feet and prove to yourself that you can become the person you want to be.   

No comments:

Post a Comment