Saturday, November 15, 2014

Disconnectopia: Setting Anchor for Sanity

 “It’s almost Pavlovian: I see the screen, I know it’s connected, and my thoughts shift into a different gear.” (Hamlet’s Blackberry, 106)

It’s become more and more noticeable; the white noise of a restless brain without conduit to the world at large. I catch it in bed at night, or on my walk to university, or while reading. I feel the urge to be connected.


My relationship, job, and school work all rely on access to the Internet. My phone is never off anymore, and when it’s on silent, my head still buzzes.


Recently, I finished reading Hamlet’s Blackberry by William Powers. It’s a philosophical exploration of the role technology plays in our lives and how we can balance its use with our sanity. Like many people, I find myself sitting idly in the dirt on one end of the seesaw, feigning cluelessness.

Of course I recognize my state of affairs! Of course I hear my laptop’s fan whirring away while I scatter around social media! But it’s easy enough to ignore.


It takes a conscious decision to be conscious. Activities I enjoy, such as reading a book, writing by hand, or cooking a new meal, have fallen wayside to a few more minutes in a drone state, staring at a screen. It takes a concerted effort to do what I love. How heinous a crime to my own health! What flagrant disregard to rationality!


To anchor myself to the physical world, I defined positive rituals that created gaps between me and my screen. Wake up and do that simple exercise routine. Shower and eat a full breakfast before even touching device X. Pull back to the three dimensional world with a paperback novel. Print out your pictures. Take a brisk walk outdoors. There must be balance!



No comments:

Post a Comment