Saturday, July 16, 2016

Back to High School

Six years after finishing high school - and having finished university and started full-time work in the meantime - I'm going back! In an online course, that is. I've enrolled for Grade 12 Chemistry, which I haven't done, with the idea that it might interest me and allow me to apply to a BSc if I choose. 

What's prompted this? Stressful work I suppose. Thursday morning I was burnt out. I even went to a park by the Grand River beforehand to vent and de-stress, but several times I broke out into fits of sobbing. I never thought I'd allow myself to get into a situation where work constantly ruled my emotions. But, it's all I have right now - work. I've finished my latest designation and needed a new outlet. 

It's not just about having something else to distract me though. It's about opening up my options so I'm not stuck in a job that I hate for 40 years. I've been looking into Environmental Science programs. I think I would like balancing insurance and science. Living with a PhD candidate in Analytical Chemistry and having two sisters who both are in science-y programs, I get a lot of exposure. 

I've always like being a generalist - reading books on a variety of topics. That's probably why I love crosswords. But now that my academic outlets are satiated, it might be time to move into the social scene... For me, that's a bigger ledge to jump. 


No comments:

Post a Comment