Saturday, May 14, 2016

Conventionally Productive

Riding the high winds of my 24th birthday, I had a very successful week. I closed several files at work and cleared out my voicemails and emails. At home, I started pruning the garden, helped reorganize the house for the new tenants, and stocked up on groceries. Sunday, I played in my first softball game of the season, getting some exercise out in right field. One morning, as I was putting away my food, Jon came down to the kitchen and told me he had a very productive morning too. In an animated voice, he told me how he had chased the ducks away from the pool using his drone! It’s more effective when you can follow them through the air. I suppose the definition of my week’s productivity was a little more conventional.


In the second week, the winds died down and I spiralled into the mud. How easily the winds can change! And once you have that wetness in your shoes, how easy is it to sink in negativity? To keep you out of the air? One negative thought breeds another until you’re knee-deep in the swamp with a dozen croaking toads blinking unevenly at you. Oft times, all there is to do is trudge forward, reach dry ground and let the mud cake off. Logic reasons, “There will be a better day!”

By Friday, I had almost recovered. The results came back for my eighth and ninth insurance exams, and the passing marks were a bit of a boost. But, a passage in particular – the beginning actually – of Emerson’s essay on Spiritual Laws provided a positive countermeasure to my disquiet. It reads:

“When the act of reflection takes place in the mind, when we look at ourselves in the light of thought, we discover that our life is embosomed in beauty. Behind us, as we go, all things assume pleasing forms, as clouds do far off. Not only things familiar and stale, but even the tragic and terrible are comely as they take their place in the pictures of memory.”

And for the most part – in my privileged life – I agree with just that. Life as it is, as a whole, in its raw form has its own beauty to the observer. And as humans are thinkers, we can observe our own thoughts and experiences in a partially objective light; to see that there is elegance in both love and loss. So, instead of snubbing the clouds and demanding sun, I remind myself to appreciate the moment and let reason prevail.


There will be a better day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment