Monday, October 24, 2016

Restarting a Blog That Matters

Chelsea's Writing Prompt #1: Write a few sentences about your story/ background, why you decided to start a blog, and what you hope to get out of it. Add in something unique and interesting from your story too! 

Blake Beyond Borders has been an on-and-off side project of mine for a few years. I first posted a "Find It Friday" article on April 6, 2012 that showed a Google Street image of a capital city and I asked people if they could guess it correctly. The image is long gone and I can't recall which city I picked for that first post, but it was simple experiment that was enough to start my presence online. 

From the crypts: originally posted Oct 19, 2012.

At its peak, BBB recorded my travels as I studied abroad for a year. I shared my solo trips to Palermo and Budapest where I learned to internalize and accept my introversion. In Macau, I diarized the tales of my first real girlfriend. Then, leaving for Beijing, I shaved my head completely bald and walked on the Great Wall of China. A week later, I was back sitting in a cubicle, my hair slowly growing back as time ticked forward despite my fixation on the past. Since, I've only posted a sputtering of entries, battling to create an identity back on Canadian ground. 

My mother is happy to report that my hair did grow back.

Just hours before the deadline of Live Your Legend's Start-A-Blog Challenge, I decided to jump back on the train. Perhaps it's procrastination from something else. Or, maybe I'll really revive Blake Beyond Borders and the person who believed in sharing the amazingness that is our world! 

No comments:

Post a Comment