Saturday, October 29, 2016

Running & Proud

Chelsea's Writing Prompt #4: What's one thing you're proud of? 

I am blessed to say that a number of things came to mind when I asked myself that question. The one I want to write about was the time I ran a half marathon. 

Shortly before my 20th birthday, I ran the Waterloo Half Marathon. It was only a month or two after I initially started Blake Beyond Borders and in writing this post, I went back and read the entry (which is somewhat embarrassing to look back on). Unfortunately, the photos are no longer part of the post, but here's one I found on Facebook:



I am proud of running that first half marathon because it was something I did for myself; it put me in a positive head space, pushed my physical and mental limits, and gave me the confidence to pursue other things that I really enjoyed. 

Running as a hobby has many benefits. I really enjoy clearing my head of any worries and being in tune with my body. I believe that being in peak physical performance is the basis for confidence in other areas of our lives. My smile is bigger when I take time to exercise and relax my mind. These days, I enjoy other activities like kayaking and hiking, but it is my wish to get back to running and eventually complete triathlons and scenic trail running competitions. 


No comments:

Post a Comment